Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wonderful Weekend at The Great Bead Escape!

I had such a wonderful time at The Great Bead Escape this weekend!  The Retreat is put on by Ronda Stevens and Jennifer Shibona.  I attending my first retreat two years ago and was so sad to miss last year because of health issues.  It is such a great time and already I can't wait until next year!


Here is a photo of my completed pieces from this year's Retreat.


This year's Retreat was held at the Lake Yale Baptist Conference Center in Leesburg, Florida.  We were truly blessed with a beautiful sunrise every morning!




It was so wonderful to connect with old friends and make new ones!  Here are just a few of the lovely women who attended the Retreat: Connie Humphrey, Michele Marotto, Debbie Broome, Rena Woodley, Colleen Hilton, Traci Remillard, Marion Metakes and Dee Whitener.

My roommate at this year's retreat was the enameling instructor, Renee Kelley.  Unfortunately for Renee, we had tons in common and didn't get much rest, talking into the night!

Here are some photos from each of the classes held this weekend.


Denise Baker taught the lampwork beading class.  She teaches lampworking at the St. Lucie County Rock and Gem Club in Port St. Lucie, Florida. 




Ed Stevens taught the Cabbing Class.  His lovely wife, Ronda, is one of the coordinators for the Retreat!


 


Gary Davis taught the Etching and Engraving Copper classes.  He has invented his own tools to make these projects more portable.



Genny Smith of New-Bel taught the Double Vision Chainmaille Necklace and Crystal Line Up Bracelet Classes.  She gives private lessons and teaches at both St. Lucie County Rock and Gem Club and Beads and Baubles in Fort Pierce, FL.  You can also check out Genny's blog and Etsy store.



Holly Merton taught the Cold-Working Charm Bracelet and Soldered Window Pendant Classes.  Holly is the Manager at Avalon Bead Store and you can also follow her blog.



Jenny Shibona of Mad Chiwawa Designs taught the Crystal Clay Pendant and the Victorian Charm Bracelet Classes.  



Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studio taught the Ceramic & Glass Mosaic Pendant and Paint Your Own Pottery Beads classes.  You can also follow her blog and on Etsy.



Renee Kelley (my roomie!) of Mountain Laurel Studios taught the Intro to Enameling and Enamel Bracelet classes.  Her webpage is not up yet, but keep a lookout for www.mountainlaurelstudios.com.



Rhonda Bergman taught the Loomed Bracelet and the Vikings Knit Bracelet Classes.  She is the owner of Avalon Bead Store and a HUGE OUTLANDER FAN!!!!




Susan Sudnik taught the Denim to Diamonds 2 Wrap Bracelet and Designing with Kumihimo classes.  You can find Susan at Bead-n-Sisters.



Ronda Stevens taught the Soldered Scroll Necklace and Tiffany Bracelet & Earrings classes.  You can find Ronda at Twist n Turns.



Trude Spillane taught the Introduction to Silver Metal Clay and Silver Metal Clay Ring classes.  You can find Trude at the Avalon Bead Store and on Etsy.

Here are a few photos from the Retreat!


Everyone has out their phone exchanging phone numbers and Facebook information!!!






All the students were allowed to bring two pieces to the Retreat and everyone voted on their favorite piece!  Sad to say I was hammering and missed the winner (I just know it WASN'T me!).

And here are my completed projects!!!


I completed three engraved copper cuffs.  I have three etched copper cuffs, but Gary's etching solution was having issues.  Going to finish them at home, now that I know the technique.



Crystal Clay.  Not something I would have purchased to do, but had loads of fun with this technique!  Jenny suggested that it might work on my wine bottles - going to find out!



Cold-Connected Bracelet.  Holly had a different (and easier) method for securing rivets and I got to play with different metal inks.  The possibilities are endless!



I finally was able to learn how to shape a heart out of a rock!  Our club isn't equipped to do this and I didn't want to waste rock practicing on mine.  I LOVE this piece of Rhodochrosite and Graphite.  The colors contrast so well together.  If you look closely you can even see my camera through the graphite sheen.


My first Larimar piece.  Very delicate stone!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Jenny and Ronda!  I had a great time and look forward to next year.  Rooming will be easy - Renee and I can share again!  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. It will be added soon!